I’ve always wanted to do an ‘Artist-in-Residence’ program. I’ve thought how lovely that would be – to have some time to just focus on weaving, working with other artists, working in
community. I’ve read about ones all around the world – most recently in Iceland!!
Then one day I came across a couple of posts about an “In House Artist Residency”….doing an Artist-in-Residence program in my own residence and studio. Perfect I thought….and saved these posts (which of course link to many more so I’ll let you explore and discover new things through these)…
And now the time has come! Hooray! Starting on May 1 – May Day – I am going to be doing an In-house/In-studio Artist-in-Residence program.
Here are some possibilities of things I’d like to think about and explore…
- making weaving the first priority of my days
- weaving with others – classes, workshops, retreats, open studio times, weavng with community and continuation of the “Blossom Banner”
- meeting other artists – inviting them to my studio, visiting theirs,
seeing more possibilities and connections
- exploring through reading, writing, photographing – but mostly weaving
- having one professional photo shoot of my work
- taking in-progress photos
- blogging about my experience
- creating a newsletter/mailing list
And then there’s the weaving…
- finishing existing warps and weaving, making clothing, etc.
- exploring all kinds of fibre – silk, jute, local wool, finer threads, stretchy threads, it’s endless…
- pulling threads
- felting and weaving
- clothes making
- and so much more…a lifetime of possibilities…
And the SAORI philosophy…
- Someone interpreted one of the SAORI slogans as “Explore with all your might” – that is what I hope to do – while also considering the other slogans too. I want to enter this
Artist-in-Residency with no expectations and just be open to where things go!
And of course I have to consider my health in this and do everything in a SAORI way
– including boosting my immune system, drinking more water, green smoothies, new recipes and so on.
This doesn’t mean that I won’t be looking at Artist-in-Residence programs in other places – Iceland, Norway, Japan, Peru, etc. That is still a dream of mine…but for now I’m just going to start where I am!
I invite you to join me on this journey as “we learn from each other…”. I’ll be posting here and on Facebook and you can also find me in my studio 🙂
And a big thank you to those who inspire me and support me!
My website: www.saorisaltspring.com